Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Nathaniel Root and "The Shot Heard 'round the World"



NATHANIEL ROOT RECALLS

On the next day after the Battle of Lexington, the 20th of April 1775, I was ploughing in my field when the news came of [the] battle with an order to report to headquarters of my regiment immediately. I took my cattle from the plough, mounted a horse, and proceeded to Pomfret in the County of Windham, the place assigned for the regiment to meet, when and where a draft was made from the regiment of about one half  of its members, of which I was one, and ordered to proceed directly to Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Elias Buell was Captain of the Company to which I belonged. Joseph Talcott was Lieutenant, Samuel Robinson, Ensign. Thomas Brown was Major of the Regiment. I, with the above-named officers and men, marched immediately to Cambridge. We soon went to Lexington and saw the blood of the slain, in the battle, on the floors, and the houses perforated with balls. I was then and there employed in keeping guard and in military exercise....

Minuteman Statue at Lexington, Massachusetts

ROOT MINUTEMEN FROM COVENTRY WHO RESPONDED TO THE LEXINGTON ALARM OF APRIL, 1775

Ezra Root
Jehiel Root
Joseph Root
Medad Root
Nathaniel Root

Note: Ezra and Nathaniel were brothers, sons of Samuel Root, and Joseph and Medad were brothers, sons of Eliakim Root, brother of Samuel. It is unclear Jehiel's relationship to the others, if any.



No comments:

Post a Comment